Monday, February 17, 2014

GLIDE • Uluwatu treehouse

My main focus with this painting was to keep it a little more on the minimal side with most focus being on the ink illustration. The original idea for the 'WaveRiding' graphic was dreamed up whilst living in a treehouse at Uluwatu in Bali during the surf season of 2007. Whilst the surf that season was pretty well pumping I always allowed myself some afternoon downtime, away from the crowds, where I'd head back to the treehouse and sort out surfboards, do a bit of reading and just generally doodle about. I was drawing loads of stuff in my journal with lead pencils but what I really wanted was some colour. My friend Ketut was heading into town and knew where to get acrylic paint and so he agreed to grab me the primary colours along with a basic square cut brush. Meanwhile I headed to the Sunset warung on the cliff down at Ulu and convinced Made' to give me a few old 2-minute noodle cardboard boxes to paint on. The next afternoon I ripped up the cardboard giving me around 15 surfaces to release my ideas onto. The painting at far bottom here was the first of the treehouse series from that time, and the painting just below is the final piece from 2012.


The final painting: 'glide' 1050 x 500mm Acrylic, indian ink and spraypaint on ply with resin coat. Byron Bay 2012



The original painting: 'glide' 200 x 120mm Acrylic and ink on 2 minute noodle cardboard box. Uluwatu, Bali, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment